Owning your own home is a dream most of us have as we grow older. However, the stresses that come along with owning a home are often unanticipated. On average, your homes maintenance will cost 3-5% of your home value per year (Ratehub.ca, 2018). For a $400K home that works out to between $12,000 and $20,000 per year. Some homeowners are more proactive about fixing, repairing, and maintaining their homes than others. A lack of maintenance on major components like the foundation, roof, plumbing, and heating can result in major cost in the long term.
When you are purchasing a new home, you want to know that these systems have been cared for properly and that you will not be the one surprised by a huge expense down the road. Sometimes, home buyers can be exploited for their lack of knowledge and end up purchasing a home with extensive damage that they are not aware of.
That is why hiring a home inspector is very important. Our job as home inspectors is to help protect you against any surprises and to help purchasers understand the exact value and potential red flags of what they are buying. As a former tradesmen and now certified home inspectors, our inspectors are able to detect problems that other home inspectors may not. We are able to provide you with a detailed analysis of your homes core structure and systems so you can evaluate what obstacles you may encounter in the future.
Why Do You Need A Home Inspection?
To emphasize the importance/value of a home inspection lets relate it to a situation more common to everyone. Imagine you are buying a used car for $3000. It is from the early 2000’s but looks in great shape. You know very little about mechanics and how to repair a car but you decide to save $150 on the inspection and trust the word of the seller who says everything is working great. So you go ahead and buy the car thinking it’s a great deal. But only 1 week after you find out it needs new tires ($800 repair), the engine block has a crack in it ($5-8K repair), the underbody has a lot of rust and it needs floor boards ($3000 repair), and that the front end shocks have very little life left to them and
will need to be replaced shortly. How would you feel? $3000 is not such a great deal anymore is it? Fortunately, it was only $3000 lost. Now imagine that this is your home worth over $350,000. And these issues can cost tens of thousands
of dollars to repair.
A home inspector can detect major issue like these before you purchase a home so that you can make a more informed buying decision. Most home inspections with Red Seal Inspection cost between $500-$1000 and can easily save you upwards of $10,000 or more we detect even one major issue. Whether this information helps you lower the asking price or to choose a different home completely, you will be happy you scheduled a home inspection.
As a home seller, hiring a home inspector can also benefit you. If you are one of the home owners who takes phenomenal care of their home you should be rewarded for it when it comes time to sell. In this scenario, hiring a home inspector from Red Seal Inspections can help you showcase the hard work and care you have put into your home by showing buyers there are no issue. In this case, you may be able to close the deal faster and at a price closer to your asking price. This small investment starting at $375, could help you receive more than $10,000 and up.
Beyond just the financial benefits of a home inspection, it will help you give you confidence and peace of mind which is equally as important. That is why a home inspection is easily one of the best investments you will make while you are
buying or selling a home.
So you are ready to get a home inspection, what now? It is important for our team to be able to inspect your home to the best of our capabilities. Therefore, there are steps you can take as a homeowner to help our inspectors complete their inspection as quickly and effectively as possible. Here is a list of steps you can take as the home seller:
1. CLEAR THE HOUSE – Since we provide a written inspection report based on the condition of the home, it is important that you clear your house of all clutter so that we can evaluate all the major components of the home accurately.
2. ENURE ALL UTILITIES ARE CONNECTED – Utilities like furnace, dishwasher and air conditioner must be connected during the home inspection. By checking your utilities before hand, you help the Red Seal Inspectors thoroughly inspect the homes equipment. If they are not connected, we may not be able to complete to report properly since we are unable to connect the equipment for you.
3. MAKE THE WAY CLEAR TO BASEMENT AND GARAGE – Most homes have several pieces of equipment that are located in the garage or basement. These are also areas that most homeowners use for storage which means the equipment is blocked or covered. It is critical that there is a clear pathway to the equipment and utilities so we recommend pulling back all stored items so that there is ample walking room for a inspector.
4. PROVIDE KEYS FOR ELECTRICAL BOXES AND ROOMS – Some homes have rooms or equipment that require keys for access. It is very important that you provide your home inspector with all necessary keys to complete the
5. CLEAR THE EXTERIOR FROM DEBRIS – Most homes have some form of vegetation around the foundation which can result in a buildup of debris over time. It is important that you clear any loose brush, trash, and items from around your home so that we can inspect the exterior of the home properly. This includes any plywood or tools leaning against the home as well.
6. PROVIDE ALL REPAIR RECEIPTS/DOCUMENTS – Since the job of Red Seal Inspections is to evaluate the home for potential safety concerns, by providing any documentation of recent service work, repairs, or alterations to your home you allow our inspectors to provide a more accurate report.
Why To Choose Red Seal Inspection
There are many home inspectors out there in the market and although our jobs are all the same, the value of each inspector is drastically different. Hiring a home inspector is the first step to protecting yourself, hiring a quality home
inspector is the second step. Most home owners look at price when choosing a home inspector. However, like all things in life you often get what you pay for.
Red Seal Inspection offers a home inspector with 20+ years of trade experience and state-of-the-art technology for inspections across South Central Alberta. Our Red Seal team includes electricians, WETT certified inspectors, and a certified electrical safety codes officer. We provide the most complete inspection on the market at an unbeatable price with many added features at no extra cost. For new listings, pre-inspections are available at great rates to real estate agents. As a licensed, insured, and bonded home inspector, we utilize thermal imaging, combustible gas detection, GFCI and AFCI detection, smoke testing, and carbon monoxide detection in our thorough approach. By choosing Red Seal Inspection you know that you are receiving a quality home inspection.
Plus, our inspectors always go beyond just the inspection. We view an inspection as an opportunity to be a consultant to you as well. We will offer suggestions for maintenance, renovations, and more that will help you get a higher asking price.
Lastly, we have the support of a certified tradesman in each industry at our finger tips, free of charge, essentially giving each client a team of contractors for their inspection. We rely on their expertise in their trade to ensure we are providing you the most accurate and up to date information possible.
Now that you understand the importance of a home inspection to both the buyer and seller, you can evaluate where a home inspection is something you should invest in for your next purchase/sale. Our team at Red Seal Inspection is always happy to answer any question you may have before, during, or after an inspection. You can contact our team by visiting our website at